Advice for a Russian Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLodger

Reaction score
So to calm my fiddling with my beer while it ferments, I've been researching potential styles and recipes for said styles. Anyhoo, considering A Russian Imperial Stout. I was wondering if I could throw the recipe out there and get suggestions? Am I off the style? I'm looking for an aggressive hop flavor with this brew. It's an extract because Grain recipes frighten this n00b for now.

10-11 lbs of Amber Malt Extract
1/2 lb Roasted Barley
1 lb Chocolate Malt
1/2 lb Black Patent
3oz of Cascade (60)
2oz of Centennial (30)
1-2 oz Amarillo (5)

Wyeast Irish Ale Yeast

Thoughts? Suggestions? Insults?

i would use light malt extract instead of amber, and bump the roasted barley up to .75-1lb and cut the black patent back to .25 pounds.

Posting more about what you want out of your designed recipe is a must or else you are just going to get a bunch of people who will taylor your recipe to fit their tastes.

Gotcha, I was essentially thinking about what I like and don't like about stouts, so I want a real full body with the toasted, almost burnt characteristics of a Russian Imperial with a real nice hop kick.

Does that help?

13.00 lbs. Light DME
1.25 lbs. Roasted Rye
1.00 lbs. Chocolate Malt
1.00 lbs. Crystal 120L
0.75 lbs. Special B Malt
2.00 oz Torrified Wheat

4.00 oz. Columbus Pellet
1.00 oz. Warrior Pellet
WLP001 California Ale Yeast

I have this finishing up in the fermenter right now. It's an extract version of https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/dark-night-soul-russian-imperial-stout-21088/ You're gravity is pretty high and will probably end up over 10% depending on how low you're hoping to take it. I'm hoping to get mine down to 1.020 or a little lower after starting at 1.1308ish. If I get down to my desired level I'll end up at about 15%abv and will bottle condition it until Christmas. The recipe actually called for 5 oz of columbus but I had some warrior left and my LHBS sells hops by 2oz bags. So with them being close in AAs I just used my left over oz of warrior. All hops were in a full 90 min boil.

Mine has been fermenting for 23 days now. It's getting close to my target fg last measured with refrac and corrected for eth I was at 1.032ish. Went down a point from the previous week at 1.04ish. I also did a late DME addition because my OG was a little lower than desired. I threw a pount of dark DME boiled into the sanitized secondary and poured the primary in there. It brought me up to 1.1308 which was right about where I wanted to be. I used the WLP001 for the high alcohol tolerance and attenuation.

Have you ever had Great Divide's Yeti? It's considered a hoppy RIS. There's recipes for it here if you want to see how that looks.

Back