Does sanitizer affect head retention in bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnonyBrew

Who rated my beer?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using a product called "cleanitizer" from AHS for sanitization of my Grolsch style bottles. I was told this is a no-rinse style sanitizer.

After thoroughly cleaning with their cleaner & rinsing well, I then dunk the bottles in the sanitizing solution for about 2 min. and hang dry them on my bottle tree for an hour or two prior to filling.

Since I do not rinse the sanitizer, can the residue from the sanitizer affect my beers' head retention?

Here is more info on the "cleanitizer". I still wonder if it will affect head retention or not. Following is straight from AHS's website.

BrewVint Cleanitizer is an oxygen-based cleaner, comparable to other brewing specific oxygen-based cleaner/sanitizers. The minimum contact time is 30 seconds. Extended soaking time can be used to clean stubborn debris. Since it does not leave a film or residue on surfaces, no rinsing is required after soaking. Unlike chlorine, Cleanitizer will not corrode stainless steel.

Usage: 1 Tablespoon per gallon of warm water.

Sounds exactly like one step. I've used one step for most of my batches and have never had a problem with head retention in any of my brews.

Here is the MSDS for the "cleanitizer" I couldn't find one for one-step, but from the description I read, it sound pretty similar. The statement about it producing hydrogen peroxide in solution means it has sodium percarbonate in it as well. It's likely they have similar if not identical formulations. There is so solid dissolved in the solution that the amount of solid left in the bottles can more or less assume to be zero.

http://jschultz.net/text/BrewVint Ultimate Brewery Cleaner.pdf

Thanks for the responses guys. My last batch had decent head once poured but it didn't last very long. Now I'm suspecting possible dishwasher soap residue left on the beer glasses. However, hand washing all my beer glasses is a big pain. I'd rather use the dishwasher.

If you formed a head that did not last, the problem, most likely, is with your beer (i.e., lack of head retention stuff) or your glass (i.e., the residue you mentioned). It's nothing in the bottle, or you probably would not get much of a head in the first place.

If you cannot stand the 10-20 seconds it takes to rinse out a glass properly, then get used to beer with no head.

TL

Back