Muslin Boiling Bag Use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reim0027

Reaction score
So, I used pellet hops to dry hop my IPA (in a glass carboy). I was hoping they would all settle down before I rack to my keg. Well, that didn't happen. There are still some floaters and such.

Can I use a muslin boiling bag when I rack it to the keg to help filter them out? Can I just use Star San to sanitize it?

You could, but it will oxygenate the beer and will clog quickly with pellet gunk.

How long has it been? Longer and/or a cold crash might make it settle. I use paint strainer bags in both/either the boil and for dry hopping to keep all the hop particles out of my beers. If you try a strainer on your siphon, put it on the intake end.

If you have the means, a good cold-crash will sink everything to the bottom. Otherwise, if you use an autosiphon, you can cover the business end with a sanitized piece of nylon hop bag/paint strainer bag and a sanitized rubber band, without risking oxidation...

Cheers!

Phew. It is cold crashing right now. Good to know I can sanitize the bag and rubber band. Cheers guys! :mug:

Back