Taste of beer after 2nd ferentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fenix26

Reaction score
I just finished bottling my first batch of beer ever. I noticed however as I was bottling the beer, it tasted very biiter, and not good at all. Should the beer taste like that at this point, or does the beer need to go through that priming phase in order for it to aquire its good taste?

Fenix26 said:
I just finished bottling my first batch of beer ever. I noticed however as I was bottling the beer, it tasted very biiter, and not good at all. Should the beer taste like that at this point, or does the beer need to go through that priming phase in order for it to aquire its good taste?

You're beer's fine...let it run the full course...2 weeks in secondary (to clear..."Secondary Fermenter" is a misnomer, you leave beer in primary until fermentation is complete, then move it to secondary to clear.)

Then 3 weeks MINIMUM in the bottle to carb and condition...

Take a read of this thread....It will help you understand what's going on with your beer... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=54362

You should read the whole thread it's got a lot of good advice....but this post talks about bottle conditioning. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=558191&postcount=101

You never judge a beer before it's been in the bottle for at least three weeks...you can taste the beer at anytime...I drink my samples...but you should never worry or judge a beer until the process is complete, that is unless the beer is OBVIOUSLY infected (as Deathbrewer says, "If it makes you puke when you taste it.") It's really really hard to ruin beers...

Take a look at that thread I linked for you....

Congrats on your first beer!

Revvy gave a way better response than I was going to give. But heres mine...as someone who just finished drinking my 1st ever batch, I remember tasting mine after bottling (had a pint glass left in bottling bucket) and thinking how bitter it was. 3 weeks in the bottle ( I tried one each week and the hops flavor/aroma mellowed each time) and a week in the fridge and they were fantastic! A couple made it a few weeks in there and they got better with age also.

Just brought my last bottle of my 2nd batch to a local homebrewer club meeting and got great reviews. Be patient and I'm sure the brew will be great!:mug:

"Be patient and I'm sure the brew will be great!" This is great advice. I've been brewing about a year and as I've gotten my stock up to a point that I can let sit for awhile before I down it all, I have been amazed at the great taste. It takes great restraint to not drink it all, especially the first batch or two, but try to keep some back for a few months, you'll amazed at how great it tastes.

Back