Hi Gravity beer experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheepbeer

Reaction score
2 gallon boil 1 hour total

1/2 lb crystal 60 steeped/boiled for 40 minutes
handfull raisins (boiled 30 minutes)
handfull oatmeal (boiled 30 minutes)
1 orange peel grated top of skin only (not very much)

2.2 lbs liquid malt extract added at 30 minutes
1/2 lb dextrose (added at 30 minutes)

UK Kent golding hops added at 30 (1/2 oz) and 10 minutes (1/2 oz) (left in fermenter)
2 gallons of water boil only and topped to 2 gallons

Reading was 1.060, alc 8%,

Frankenstein beer... Just for fun.... WHAT HAVE I DONE?!!!

Any idea what I may end up with?? Scotch ale? It was a pretty thick brew. Read later that I maybe should have strained it.

If it were mine, I would have strained out the oatmeal and raisins. Whatever.

What yeast did you use?

I think "Frankenbeer" sums it up. It probably won't be terrible. Let us know.

Hey Frazier

I used Danstar windsor yeast and I did take out the raisins and oatmeal along with the spent crystal60. I sipped the wort it ... was good. I have heard of people adding carbonated soda water later (after bottle conditioning is finished) to these hi gravity beers to cut em down a bit if too strong in any way.

Man I dont know about this. You steeped and boiled your crystal for 40mins?? I would call this Dumper Ale since thats what you're gonna do with it after the first sip lol. How do you figure 8% with a gravity 1.060? There is no way those ingredients will give you a final gravity of exactly 1 but I'm all for experiementing so good luck. Let us know how it goes and be sure to video your first sip for all of us :mug:

Man I dont know about this. You steeped and boiled your crystal for 40mins?? I would call this Dumper Ale since thats what you're gonna do with it after the first sip lol. How do you figure 8% with a gravity 1.060? There is no way those ingredients will give you a final gravity of exactly 1 but I'm all for experiementing so good luck. Let us know how it goes and be sure to video your first sip for all of us :mug:

LOL did I use too much stuff!!:drunk:

Yeah I dont know what the final gravity will be . Any ideas?

These conversations and experiments are the greatest learning tool there is.

2 points i guess,
oats need a base grain to convert the starches to sugars but with only a hand full you may be ok there.
the boiling the grains part not so much. your steeping grains should never be allowed to go above 170 deg. or they release tanins that will make your beer taste horrible.
or so I am told. no first hand knowledge on that because i don't let my grains get that hot.

Cheepbeer said:
2 gallon boil 1 hour total

1/2 lb crystal 60 steeped/boiled for 40 minutes
handfull raisins (boiled 30 minutes)
handfull oatmeal (boiled 30 minutes)
1 orange peel grated top of skin only (not very much)

2.2 lbs liquid malt extract added at 30 minutes
1/2 lb dextrose (added at 30 minutes)

UK Kent golding hops added at 30 (1/2 oz) and 10 minutes (1/2 oz) (left in fermenter)
2 gallons of water boil only and topped to 2 gallons

Reading was 1.060, alc 8%,

Frankenstein beer... Just for fun.... WHAT HAVE I DONE?!!!

Any idea what I may end up with?? Scotch ale? It was a pretty thick brew. Read later that I maybe should have strained it.

Quick question.. Is this a kit that you bought? If so, did u follow instructions?

Also, the ABV is determined after the beer is done fermenting. Your estimate was assuming that the FG would be exactly 1, yet that is rarely the case if what I've read is true. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong because I'm still learning as well.

The oats will probably give you a creamy texture. 1/2 lb of crystal is a lot to 2.2 lbs of LME. Its probably going to end up pretty sweet. Also because the oats and crystal were not mashed with a base grain they will not be very fermentable. So you're really looking at just the LME and dextrose fermenting out. Those contribute about 47 gravity points to the mix and at 70% attenuation you can expect about 4.5% ABV.

There is NO WAY this is a kit lol. Raisins and orange peel? 8% from 1.060 using extract and steeping/boiling crystal? Plus, he's even calling it an experiment.

That's what I thought, but for some reason started to get the feeling that he was following some odd set of instructions. I actually have a recipe kit that includes orange peel, albeit dried and not fresh. Raisins did seem odd though. LOL

That's what I thought, but for some reason started to get the feeling that he was following some odd set of instructions. I actually have a recipe kit that includes orange peel, albeit dried and not fresh. Raisins did seem odd though. LOL

I actually saw a raisin beer today in a convenience store cooler, can't remember the brewer off hand.

To tell the truth I was just messing around with leftovers . No recipe. I'll let you all know how it turns out....

OG 1.052
FG 1.013
IBU 0
ABV 5.0 %
SRM 14

Specifics
Boil Volume 2 gallons
Batch Size 2 gallons
Yeast 75% AA

Style Comparison
Low High
OG 1.045 1.052 1.056
FG 1.010 1.013 1.015
IBU 20 0 40
SRM 4 14 11
ABV 4.5 5.0 5.7

Tastes awesome! I cant believe it ! final Grav 1.10 so far no astringency.... Im going to let it go for 4 more days. Pretty good alcohol content too.
OG 1.060
FG 1.010

1.060 is considered a high gravity beer? Serious question.

I wouldn't consider that a high gravity. The lowest I've ever made had an OG of 1.055. I have an Imperial Russian in the primary that had an OG of 1.130.

The beer does sound interesting, I'm curious how it turns out. I've thought of making a Frankenbeer myself.

I wouldn't consider that a high gravity. The lowest I've ever made had an OG of 1.055. I have an Imperial Russian in the primary that had an OG of 1.130.

The beer does sound interesting, I'm curious how it turns out. I've thought of making a Frankenbeer myself.

after 7 days I took a taste... Its good! Sweet raisiny, hoppy, creamy, and a good dose of alcohol. Im happy with it so far. I dont think I want this one carbed up too much, I may bottle without sugar or just half.:rockin:

Hey Jay. Would you post the recipe of that Imperial Russian here? Would like to brew one. Thanks.

Hey Jay. Would you post the recipe of that Imperial Russian here? Would like to brew one. Thanks.

Here ya go! I'm new to All-grain. I did a batch sparge in a 10gallon converted cooler. When I do this again, I'll skip the DME. I had it on hand because I was worried about my efficiency. I was hoping for about 1.010, oh well.

Also, I'm not even gonna bother tasting it till after the first of the year so who knows it could be nasty.....but most likely not HAHA.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Post Boil Volume: 4.87 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.37 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.88 gal
Estimated OG: 1.132 SG
Estimated Color: 37.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 53.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 88.5 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

-
18 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 3
2 lbs Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 4 7.8
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6
12.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 7
3 lbs Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract 8

0.50 oz Magnum [20.00 %] - Boil 75.0 min Hop 9
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 Hop 10
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 50.0 min Hop 11
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 12 5
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 13
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 14
0.27 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 15 -
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 Yeast 16 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 25 lbs 12.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 31.64 qt of water at 162.5 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, , 1.62gal) of 168.0 F water

After I collected all of my wort it was at 1.075
I added 3.3lbs Dark DME into the boil to bring the gravity up. I shouldn't have done that. I didn't intend for the gravity to be that high.
I also added 6oz Hersheys Unsweetened Chocolate powder to the boil. Smelled really good.

My Frankenbeer had at least a half gallon of trub on the bottom... It tasted so good that I gently strained & bottled it into 22oz bottles and added 1 instead of 2 sugar balls. I only got 7, 22 oz bottles from 2 gallons. I think raisins & oats may be a pretty great addition to beers. Lots of flavor here in fairly strong alcohol.

After sitting a while ,,, delicious. Its a raisin beer. Im almost out. Im going to make more the same way only this time add some roasted barley.

Back