Yeast Q's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cphair16

Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed my first batch of brown ale from a true brew kit. I followed the instructions but I think I killed the yeast. I boiled the extract for 30mins and the added it to 4 gallons of cold tap water in my primary fermented. Then I sprinkled the dry yeast on top immediately and let settle for 10 min then I stirred it in. Then I proceeded to put the cover and airlock on. when I checked the airlock 6 hours later I saw some bubbles but when I checked it this morning their was no bubbles just small air bubble attached to the airlock it self. I’m not sure but I think I killed the yeast, if so can I add more yeast? Any comments will help.

All is not lost as yet. Before you added the yeast what was the temp in the primary? Or if you didn't check was it about room temp? If the temp was around room temp then you should not of killed the yeast. It can take up to a few days for the yeast to propagate enough to see much activity in the air lock.

Back