yeast in the bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue_bmw2

Reaction score
So i took out a bottle of my first brew today to taste and see if it was fully carbonated. I poured the beer and noticed some yeast in the beer it looked like. Did i just not siphon correctly or did i do something completely wrong. I don't think it altered the taste any as it tastes good and it could use a few more days carbing but any thoughts would be good so i don't do this next time. Thanks everyone!

There's always a bit of yeast in an unfiltered, bottle-conditioned beer. Don't worry about it, it is absolutely normal.

Matter of fact, you will find this in almost all commercial bottle-conditioned ales, and almost all belgian brews.

If it bothers you, just leave a half-inch or so in the bottom of your bottles.

Congrats on the first brew!!!

The yeast in the bottom of the bottle is supposed to be there. When you bottle condition you're creating another, small fermentation within the bottle.

When you pour the beer into the glass try to do it in one, fluid pour and leave a small amount in the bottle so you don't pour the yeast into the glass.

thanks guys. I just found the thread that Revvy linked and it really helped. Thanks for answering yet another noob question!

Back