What temp to carb a lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpm5171988

Reaction score
Hello all. I recently brewed my first lager, an Oktoberfest. Just transferred it to secondary, and was wondering how exactly should I carbonate the beer after priming and bottling? Any info will help, as I am new to lagering.

I think the conventional method of put it at 70f for a couple weeks works here as well, but technically I guess you could leave it at whatever temperature the yeast will still be active at. Probably faster at 70f though, and not really any worry about off flavors at that point from high 'fermentation' temps.

Then what? I've heard Of a method where after the beer is carbonated you drop the temperature a few degrees a day until the beer is just above freezing, and age it at this temp. Does that sound about right?

That would be bottle lagering. If you've already lagered ("to store at cold temps" basically) during/after fermentation, you don't need to do this. If you've not gone super cold for a long time before bottling, then you'll want to do that if you want as close to a true lager as you could get, having not already done the lagering step. At this point I'd say just drop it right down to 34f or so and let it sit in bottles (after carbing) for a month or so if you want to, don't bother with the degree per day stuff, since that step probably makes the most sense when done just after fermentation.

Back