foamless fermetation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexs

Reaction score
Im brand new to cider making and brand new to the forum, but I thought it would be a good idea to toss this out and see who responds. This is the first time I have made cider (I have an apple tree). I followed all directions that I could find, use SO2, added nutrients, measured pH and had to add malic acid to bring pH down, had to add sugar to get SG up to 8%, then added the yeast, and nothing happened. Added more yeast with a starert, nothing. then after about a week it began to make noises, but no foam. I racked it to get rid of all the dead yeast sitting at the bottom that never took off. Now the airlock is going gangbusters but there is absoluletely no foam. What the heck is it, and it cant be good. Is my cider recoverable? and how do I do it?

alexs said:
Im brand new to cider making and brand new to the forum, but I thought it would be a good idea to toss this out and see who responds. This is the first time I have made cider (I have an apple tree). I followed all directions that I could find, use SO2, added nutrients, measured pH and had to add malic acid to bring pH down, had to add sugar to get SG up to 8%, then added the yeast, and nothing happened. Added more yeast with a starert, nothing. then after about a week it began to make noises, but no foam. I racked it to get rid of all the dead yeast sitting at the bottom that never took off. Now the airlock is going gangbusters but there is absoluletely no foam. What the heck is it, and it cant be good. Is my cider recoverable? and how do I do it?

I made cider one time, and it never had any foam on it.

-walker

Apple juice has no protein in it, so no foam.

If you want to fortify a cider, ferment it for a week, then add the sugar. Too much osmotic pressure from the sugar makes yeast growth very slow.

Back