HELP - Cold Front Came Through During Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gman122889

Reaction score
So...I've got a pumpkin ale in the fermenter. It's my second batch! Last week a nice cold front came though. I'm in college and my roomies and I are pretty stingy when it comes to running the furnace so the average temperature of the house has been set at 62. Temp was real good during the primary phase of high activity fermentation. Got a great kraeusen for the first 3 days and things have settled. Then the temp dropped. The thermo is reading 60-62ish. I'm using WLP002 which calls for temps 65-68. It's not really clearing as nicely as my porter did. Am I in trouble? Any suggestions? I'm trying to primary for 2-3 weeks then bottle. I don't really know if this matters cause I'm brand new to this (and quickly getting addicted) but OG was 1.064.

Do any of you have any suggestions? From most of what I have read the best advice seems to be just let it be.

For the future, I ferment in a coat closet in our condo so the only temp control I have is what I keep the house at. Any suggestions on things to help meet temp requirements for fermentation that a broke college kid who wants to keep making beer could use? Thanks!

Sweet! There's some different beers to try here but much more selection back home. I miss it!

The yeasts aren't going to die or anything from the cold, just take a nice snooze or slow down.

If the front doesn't pass and things warm up, try bumping the heat up a degree or three and let the fermentation finish before turning the heat back down.

I'm thinking about getting a very small space heater for the closet...

Meanwhile, I will freeze my butt off in my room. Is it weird that I'm taking better care of my beer's temp than my own? I think I have a problem...

Back