Safe to take out of temp controlled fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGrieves

Reaction score
Currently, in my temp controlled mini-fridge, I have a Russian Imp Stout which I brewed a week ago today. It fermented with Cal Ale yeast at 67 and after 4 days I bumped it up to 69. I am about to take an SG reading. Even if it is in the range I am shooting for (1025 to 1028) I will leave it in there on the yeast for another week to clean up any biproducts.

My question is this. Normally, with a big beer, I like to leave it on the yeast for 3 weeks. However, I'd like to brew next week, and to do so, I'd need to use the fridge. I am in Boston and it has been pretty warm this week (in the eighties).

If I pull out the RIS next week, do people think I need to bottle it then, or could I leave it in primary at ambient temps? Fermentation should be over by then, but I'm worry about how high the temps would get on all that yeast.

The biggest yeast attributed flavor characteristics in any ale occur during primary fermentation. If it is at its FG, and you let it sit temp controlled for another week, I believe it will be fine to remove and let rest at ambient. Any flavors associated with this will be negligible in this RIS.

Brew on!!

With a big beer like a RIS I would not hesitate letting it hit 75 degrees after peak fermentation to try and drop the gravity as much as possible. After about 4 days I would bring the temp back down and hold it there until it drops clear.

+1 If you can take it out and keep it somewhere were the beer will be in the low 70's, I think you could leave it there for a couple more weeks until it clears up and/or hits terminal gravity for a few days straight.

Back