Fermentation problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chungking

Reaction score
So I just checked my Belgian bock ( partial grain/extract kit from true brew), and it still hasn't reached its final gravity. It's been sitting in the bucket for two weeks, bubbling has long since stopped, and I'm reading about 1.022-1.024. O.g. Was 1.050. Ambient temp of house is 73 degrees. It was just a packet of dry yeast that came with the kit. Used it a hand full of times before, no problem.

I usually don't wait this long to bottle, all my other similar kits were ready in about a week. I guess I'm just a little shocked that it hasn't reached it fg yet. Any hints? Should I stir it up or try to reactivate? I'll take another reading tomorrow...

Two weeks is not much for a lager. Relax. Take a reading in a few days.

What was the actual strain of yeast? Did you research it on here to see if it has a history of stalling? Did you look on the company's website to make sure that the temp you were fermenting at was ideal for this particuliar strain?

Well, the kit came with ale yeast. Like I said, it's the same dry yeast that has come with every kit, never had a problem before fermenting at the same temps. I can look up the brand later this afternoon. The fg in the instructions says it should be about 1.012-1.014, so about .010 off.

The airlock is still down, so it didn't spring up over night. Maybe a leak in my fermenter? Or it is really done fermenting...

Also, I have been pitching the yeast in dry, as directions say (I'm sure directions are wrong since it is true brew) but would it be better to rehydrate yeast before pitching?

Back