Is this mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
14 days or so fermenting.

image-2988964077.jpg

Attachments

• image-3751572083.jpg
    image-3751572083.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 266
WHAT. The hell. IS THAT?!?!?!?!?! It looks like a mother!!! A scoby maybe? How does this happen?

Op, ok I somehow got over here from a beer forum. Sorry about the confusion. Clearly that is a mother. But Brosef is right, it does look like an alien...

What is your base? But if you are asking if the floating brown is mold the answer is no, that is a thread of yeast cells rich in B vitamins.

My base is republic of tea pomegranate green tea.i think that is brown not green but w this funky purple base it's hard to say lol. Kinda looks green. Maybe I should get a close up photo w a flashlight? It doesn't appear to be growing on top of the SCOBY. But I can't say for sure.

Sorry guys its Kombucha! Lol new to this board I thought I was posting on Kombucha forum.

The color of the base comes over as dark pom colored when I look at it, that is what threw me re: kombucha primary ferment.
Mold looks like mold, fuzzy stuff, any color. But the yeast threads in the base attached to the scoby are quite normal and actually will drop to bottom of container also. I just drink them.

Back