the start of a pellicle or mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sipina

Reaction score
The start of a pellicle or mold?

Thank you!

Attachments

• mold or pellicle.jpg
    mold or pellicle.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Thank you for the very kind compliments on my deep beer wisdom. :D

The other thing I can say about this fermentation is that Mangrove Jack's M21 yeast is being used.

The wort had around Sg 1.040. Fermentation began normaly but it was quite weak, compared to other yeasts I'm used to. Then there was H2S which disipated after about 3 days; the fermentation seemed quite stil. After 14 days passed there was another weak yeast activity for about 48 hours, showing signs of fermentation. Starting with this second yeast activity I started to observe this whitish blob which I cannot seem to identify.

I have not observed such yeast activity with strains like BE-134, Belle Saison, M31, M41 (MJ), Lallbrew's Farmhouse, SO-4, T-58, Lallbrew's Munich Classic and Voss Kveik. Can anyone share any thoughts or experiences on this?

Today the beer is in the carboy for 20 days total. I intented to bottle the beer in the following max 3 days.

fwiw, I concur that there's nothing foreboding in the picture.

I've never used anything from "Mangrove Jack", which I'm pretty sure is just a breaker. It'd be interesting to know what commercial strain ended up being sold as "M21", but I'd still say the picture is benign :)

Cheers!

You'll see your future batches of beer having weird looking stuff on top of the beer in the FV too. Some will look the same as previous batches. But others for some reason will look completely different. Especially since you can see into the FV through the clear sides.

Whether it's infection or not, you still do the same thing you'd do for just about any beer. Be patient till it's time to have that first glass after it's been carbonated and appropriately conditioned.

If it tastes bad at that point... toss it. Or some have suggested marinating your meat you put on the grill with it.

fwiw, I concur that there's nothing foreboding in the picture.

I've never used anything from "Mangrove Jack", which I'm pretty sure is just a breaker. It'd be interesting to know what commercial strain ended up being sold as "M21", but I'd still say the picture is benign :)

Cheers!
M15(M03) - ???
M20 / WLP380 - Hefeweizen IV Ale / 3333 GermanWheat Yeast
M21 - WLP400 or 410 I think?
M29 - closest to WY3711
M31 - ???
M36(M79) - Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley or White Labs WLP023.
M41(M27) - ???
M42(M07) / WLP007 - Dry English Ale / 1098 Whitbread - dry
M44 / WLP001 - California Ale / 1056 American Ale Yeast / Wyeast 1764 Pacman Yeast from Rogue.
M47 - Extremely close to WLP530 or WY3787
M54 - ???
M76 - ???
M84 - Probably Closer to W34/70

i dont particularly like MJ yeasts. i have had inconsistant results with them. i have had good luck using m10 with ciders

M15(M03) - ???
M20 / WLP380 - Hefeweizen IV Ale / 3333 GermanWheat Yeast
M21 - WLP400 or 410 I think?
M29 - closest to WY3711
M31 - ???
M36(M79) - Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley or White Labs WLP023.
M41(M27) - ???
M42(M07) / WLP007 - Dry English Ale / 1098 Whitbread - dry
M44 / WLP001 - California Ale / 1056 American Ale Yeast / Wyeast 1764 Pacman Yeast from Rogue.
M47 - Extremely close to WLP530 or WY3787
M54 - ???
M76 - ???
M84 - Probably Closer to W34/70

i dont particularly like MJ yeasts. i have had inconsistant results with them. i have had good luck using m10 with ciders
Mj just repacks existing dry yeasts. They do not dry yeast on their own. You better look at lallemands and fermentis range for suitable fits.

Mj just repacks existing dry yeasts. They do not dry yeast on their own. You better look at lallemands and fermentis range for suitable fits.
Would you say that M21 is the same as Lallemand's Wit?

I've bottled the beer and it has been in the bottles for about 7 days now I think. So far so good. It seems to be developing nicely.

Latest posts

Back