Unexpected yeast nutrient reaction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesClark

Reaction score
I've got a traditional mead in primary, and earlier tonight it was time to add the first bit of nutrient/energizer. I popped off the airlock and dumped in the energizer and then the yeast nutrient (1 tsp of "Fermax"). To my surprise as soon as the nutrient touched the surface, it started fizzing and sizzling, as if I had just dumped some baking soda into some vinegar! Is that normal? What kind of reaction is taking place in there?

I've got a traditional mead in primary, and earlier tonight it was time to add the first bit of nutrient/energizer. I popped off the airlock and dumped in the energizer and then the yeast nutrient (1 tsp of "Fermax"). To my surprise as soon as the nutrient touched the surface, it started fizzing and sizzling, as if I had just dumped some baking soda into some vinegar! Is that normal? What kind of reaction is taking place in there?

Yes, it happens all the time. (Google "nucleation points" for a scientific explanation). What I'd do next time, is use a wine thief and take out a sample of mead into a sanitized container. Stir nutrients into that, and then gently pour it into the mead. That will definitely help!

It's normal-- the yeast nutrient is causing the CO2 in the mead to come out of solution. It's not a chemical reaction, just physical in that the nutrient is providing nucleation points for the CO2.

-Steve

Ah, thanks. I wasn't expecting it to have that much CO2 in there, but that explanation makes sense.

Latest posts

Back