Flip top bottles for cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewsmedic

Reaction score
I am planning on making a gallon of cider using the very basic recipe I found on one of the links here and want to put it in flip top cap bottles. I have some organic frozen apple juice to use for carbing it up (1/4 can) and know I need to have one bottle I'm checking every two days to assure I'm getting a nice level of carbing without blowing up. Once I've done that, I want to pasteurize them but I haven't seen a post regarding that process and flip top style bottles. I would think they would actually be better with the whole "bolt down lid" look but wanted to be sure.

Using some pasteurized, preservative free cider and the nottingham ale yeast if that matters for this question along with the juice at bottle time. Just keeping this first gallon good and basic.

I've used it with limited success.. A few times I have had a gush of boiling hot cider go everywhere. I keep a towel over my pot though so it was never a huge problem. Be wary and use common sense and you should be fine. Also, once you open a bottle to test carbonation you won't be able to use that same bottle to test again as the CO2 will have escaped the first time.

Back