How to tell if mead is infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beandroid

Reaction score
I made my first batch of mead on Wednesday, it started bubbling within 2 hours, and has been pretty steady since then. It's really foamy. I added orange slices and raisins to the mix, everything on the top looks white/thick/foamy and sort of gross looking... are there any true signs when it's gone bad or is all this foam a good thing?

Man I hope your alright,I started mt first batch on 10/13 and it looked just like yours.I think the foam is just the gass from fermitation. Jim

Foam is fine. When I do the primary fermentation in a jug I have to set it in a plastic pan because sometimes the foam comes out the airlock.

A good sign of an infection is a funky smell, and I mean positively rancid. I had a batch of plum wine pick up a brett infection and it smelled like band-aids and sweaty gym socks. That's why people sniff their airlocks during a ferment, just to keep track. (Plus some of us like the smell.) There may be other signs, but I'll let the experts go into that.

Dave

Back