Need Help with 1st Kegging Purchase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traviswalken

Reaction score
I have read a lot of posts and am ready to take the kegging plunge. I looked at Keg Connection, Birdman, Midwest, and Beverage Factory. I think Keg Connection is the best deal.

Are these comperable?

Keg Connection: 2 kegs, 5 lbs. co2, 2 faucets, shipping = $276

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=498

Birdman: 2 kegs, 5 lbs. co2, 2 faucets, shipping = $305

http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/keg-kit-2-tap-fridge-homebrew/

A couple more questions:

1. I might want to add a 3rd keg at some point. How difficult/expensive would this be if I get one of these kits? Should I just get a 3 keg kit without the 3rd keg? If I upgrade my kit from keg connection to 3 taps (but only 2 kegs) it adds about $70.

2. If I want to add nitro at some point, is it easy to upgrade? Should I modify a kit to make nitro easier/cheaper?

3. Are there any upgrades I should be considering?

Thanks in advance for the help!

The first upgrade I would make would be to Perlick 525SS faucets. They are forward sealing and I pretty much guarantee that you are going to end up with them so spend the money up front and don't get the chrome taps.

Also check locally about filling costs for a CO2 tank. I chose to pay a local $50 tank deposit and can exchange for $9.00. The only places around me that will fill a tank I own cost twice as much.

You might want to check out Beverage Elements.

Here's some stuff.

Reconditioned 10lb steel CO2 tank - $52
http://www.bvrgelements.com/product/Steel-10-lb-CO2-Tank-Recertified/

Used 5 gallon ball lock kegs $28 (I have two of them and they work perfectly)
http://www.bvrgelements.com/product/5-Gallon-Keg-Single-Handle-Ball-Lock/

Dual gauge regulator with check-valve - that's a good thing to have as it will keep beer from accidentally being pushed back into the regulator.
http://www.bvrgelements.com/product/Taprite-Dual-Gauge-CO2-Regulator/

Hope this helps you. I have no affiliation with Beverage Elements just a happy customer. Check out their site they have some great deals. Don't be to concerned with reconditioned kegs or steel CO2 tanks. The site has some info on what reconditioned means and the kegs have to be recertified every 5 years by the Department of Transportation. I plan to get a 15lber from them soon, cost like 65 dollars. Going bigger on a CO2 tank, bigger than 5lb will pay off in the long run. Bigger tanks cost less to fill per pound.

Keg connection has some pretty decent prices on faucets. It's pretty competitive out there with the online guys but I think Beverage Elements has the best prices for the kegs and CO2 tank.

Cheers!

Dan

Yes they are very comparable, however one is a pin lock set up while the other is a ball lock set up. They should function and perform the same. The difference in pin lock and ball lock are the connectors/disconnects and dimensions of the kegs. Ball lock kegs are 25" tall and 8.5" wide, and the disconnects will add 1" to the height (~26" minimum height total). Pin lock kegs are 22" tall and 9" wide, and the disconnects will add 1.5" to the height (~23.5" minimum height total).

I would agree with choosing to upgrade the faucets to perlick 525ss faucets.

I bought a 10# co2 tank locally for $90, filled. Filling on a 5# tank will cost something, probably around $10 (makes the overall cost 65+10=$75 at least). I would definitely call around and find an airgas or cylinder dealer to find out what local prices are. I'd imagine in Tacoma you'll have lots of options, and probably less expensive.

I had your same thought of adding a future keg to the system and so I bought the system with the gas manifold ready for the upgrade.

The first upgrade I would make would be to Perlick 525SS faucets. They are forward sealing and I pretty much guarantee that you are going to end up with them so spend the money up front and don't get the chrome taps.

Also check locally about filling costs for a CO2 tank. I chose to pay a local $50 tank deposit and can exchange for $9.00. The only places around me that will fill a tank I own cost twice as much.

Can't stress that enough. I bought a 4-keg kit from keg connection (w/party taps) and soon decided to upgrade.

- First upgrade was for cheapo faucets because I had a full sized fridge and I had capacity for 4 kegs. I didn't have that much beer at the start, but trust me, you will have that much beer once you start kegging.

- After spending all the money on my kegs, lines, tank and then faucets, I DID upgrade to the Perlick faucets.

Bottom line....Even if you only have capacity for 2 kegs, plan on having more than that, at least 3 to 4 so you have kegs with beer ready to go. Don't go cheap on the faucets if you know deep down inside you want the more expensive gear. And the CO2, if you can't get your shiny new tank refilled locally, and don't want to lose it. Don't buy one and just use the local swap out programs in your area.

Thanks for the help.

Based on the posts above, I think I will just go with picnic taps. It will cost an extra $130 to get 2 stainless taps vs. picnics. At some point I can always upgrade.

Also, I will make some calls to local welding supply places...I will probably just pay a deposit.

Thanks again for the help.

Thanks for the help.

Based on the posts above, I think I will just go with picnic taps. It will cost an extra $130 to get 2 stainless taps vs. picnics. At some point I can always upgrade.

Also, I will make some calls to local welding supply places...I will probably just pay a deposit.

Thanks again for the help.

I'm pretty sure you can upgrade both faucets to the Perlick 525SS for $50 from kegconnection ($25 each faucet upgrade).

Honestly, I would put together a pretty good idea of what you want and then call Ben at kegconnection or someone at birdman, and get a personal quote for the system you're after. I'm fairly certain you'll be quoted a cheaper price than you're seeing online. Certainly doesn't hurt to try. I talked with Ben at KC and feel like I got a steal of a deal, granted I went with a system that can support 4 kegs.

HTH!

Birdman comes with barbed connections on all lines.

Thanks for checking us out. We actually use threaded quick disconnects with barbed swivel nuts attached for all our kits - we don't actually use only barbs.

Best of luck, and thanks again for giving us a look!

Back