Cooking food in wort pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HH60gunner

Reaction score
If my wife cooked some food using the pot that I normally use for cooking my wort, should I be scared? Will it leave any off flavors in my future beer? Or as long as I clean it well should it be ok?

I brewed my first beer in my stew pot. It was not a brew pot..it was a stew pot only. My current brew pot is a former turkey fryer pot...used.

I think as long as you clean it you'll be alright.

I made tamales in mine around Thanksgiving last year. I think the beer I brewed right after that was another batch of strawberry blonde. No off flavors to speak of. Of course I did clean my equipment obsessively, just like I do every batch.

This about it this way... If you use a pot to make chili in one night and then a week later you make chicken soup, does your chicken soup taste like chili? Metals don't really absorb and transfer things like that if you just make sure to clean them properly in between.

Now, if she used a plastic ale pail for something else, I'd be a bit nervous.

lol ive made 70 gallons of chili in the brewkettle at a cookoff one day and made 100 gals of beer the next

Back