Dispensing Nitro beers with Jockey Box

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dermotstratton

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have figure out how to successfully dispense nitro beers on my kegerator at home. I perform the following:

1. Keg beer and carbonate to ~1.2 volumes of CO2 using a standard CO2 tank by attaching keg to CO2 tank for a couple of weeks at a pressure setting that dictates volumes to achieve (dependent on temperature)

2. Remove keg form CO2 regulator and move it to my kegerator and attache nitrogen/beer gas regulator.

3. Adjust beer gas pressure to ~30 psi and serve through stout faucet.

(I have about ~ 5 feet of beer line between keg and faucet)

This has resulted in nice creamy pints of stout that cascades and produces a nice tight foamy head.

For my homebrew club, I'd like to serve my nitro beer. We replaced the faucets on one of our jockey boxes with stout taps. We also bought a bottle of beergas and a nitrogen regulator and feed the jockey box with beergas at 30 psi. The end result is not nice creamy pints.

Does anyone have any experience with trying to serve nitro beers on a jockey box and have recommendations on how to do this?

Thanks!

temp control is probably your issue. as long as your lines are all the same length, the concept is exactly the same as a kegerator.

I'm talking about total line length from keg to tap. A more accurate question is whether your beer has the same resistance from keg to tap. Assuming all your lines are the same inner diameter, you should used the exact same line length from keg to tap.

Latest posts

Back