*sigh* At what temp is a 'cold fermented' ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ksosh

Reaction score
Alright, I've been trying to navigate google search for HBT, but the only stuff I'm finding deals with lagering and/or lager yeast, so some non-noob please answer my noob question that I should have been able to otherwise find with searching:

For something like a Baltic Porter, where the BJCP says 'lager yeast, or cold fermented if using ale yeast', what exactly is the temp range for 'cold fermented ales'? I know too low will put the yeast to sleep, and I doubt they just mean the standard 68, so would 60 be too cold? Would 'lagering' at 40 or so after primary fermentation achieve the same results?
Thanks.

Well, you could use an ale yeast that ferments well at cool temps, like Nottingham, or you could use a lager yeast that ferments well at warmer temps, like Saflager S-23. Either ferments well in the high 50's to mid 60's. After primary fermentation, you can rack to secondary and age at lager temps.

i think its 5*C to 18*C for lager yeasts but I am also a noob so Ill leave it to somebody whose an expert to confirm :D

Either ferments well in the high 50's to mid 60's. After primary fermentation, you can rack to secondary and age at lager temps.

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for (high 50's - mid 60's)

Back