Extract Hefe Plan - Requesting Comments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fenster

Reaction score
I’m looking forward to brewing my first hefe using the late addition method based on the following recipe:

1-2 lbs light DME
5 lbs wheat DME added in the last 5 minutes of the boil (or perhaps at flameout)
I want a lot of banana, so I’ll be using WLP300 yeast and fermenting in the mid 70’s.

Concerning the steeping grains, I’m looking at ½ lb of flaked oats or 4oz Munich. Can someone tell me why I would want one of these over the other? Mouth feel, head retention etc…

For hops, it seems like Hallertau is the most popular for this style, but I am also considering Saaz. Will this make for much of a difference considering the low AA of both varieties? Would a combination work well?

And finally, I have a turkey fryer and chiller so I can do a full boil…but do I want to do this with a hefe? Something tells me that it might be preferable to do a partial boil, but I don’t know why.
Assuming I do a full boil with only the 1-2 lbs of DME I will want to decrease my hops by roughly a third correct?

Thanks!

Hey my recent amazing hef was similar, 6lb alex. wheat, 4oz caramunich I, 0.5oz fuggle5% for 60min. I did the late addition as well, to increase hop useage and keep color light. A full boil will further help keep the color light, and further hop utilization. Either of those hops will be fine, hop character is minimal with german hefs. I believe the caramunich added a subtle mouthfeel, which I was really hoping for. I did ferment at lower temps though(65), as per Jamil's recommendation in Brewing Classic Styles. The yeast charecter is amazing, though I think you're right about bananas and higher temps. also, used WL german hef IV, plus WL belgian wit(only one germ. hef vial). The outcome? So good. it tastes like Brooklyner Weisse. Good luck.

Back