Fermentation smells like olives?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaltyDog03

Reaction score
I created a coffee ported using partial mash. The temperature never got above 160. Everything was sanitized.

It's been fermenting for 5 days now. I know it's nowhere near the final flavor / smell, but I thieved some beer from the fermenter. It's incredibly cloudy and smells strongly like olives. I know clearing should occur as it ferments longer, but the strong olive smell has me worried.

Being new at brewing, it's very hard for me to judge the flavor of the beer. Right now it's undrinkable. There are so many strong flavors that I know will mellow, but that olive smell worries me.

Has anyone experienced an "olive" smell to their immature beer?

A stout that I brewed a while back had that small/taste. I do know that I mashed around 158-160 as my thermometer was not calibrated. I also added some amylase as it wouldn't go below 1.030. I wonder if the high mash or the amylase had something to do with it.

Back