Apfelwein - refrigeration etc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJP075

Reaction score
Apologies if this is a silly question, but I have purchased some fresh apple juice for my first attempt at Apfelwein and I am concerned about the 'keep refrigerated and consume within 4 days of opening' warnings on the side of the container. Should I be concerned about this, or will the layer of carbon dioxide prevent the apple juice from spoiling ? I have seen some recipes suggest the apple juice / apfelwein is allowed to age in the carboy for 3 weeks and more.

The blanket of CO2 will be the first "defense", but the alcohol being developed to create that C02 is the your best ally. Also means you chose your juice well since it doesn't appear to have preservatives.

Great - thanks for the feedback Irishred. I am going to get started first thing tomorrow !

You are intentionally "spoiling" the juice by adding yeast.

I am pretty sure that warning is put on there because once you open the juice it is exposed to wild yeast in the air and it will ferment on its own. Get a small bottle of apple juice and drink half put the lid back on and let it sit on the counter for a couple days and you will see fermentation start to begin.

Latest posts

Back