SSR and Heatsink Placement Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KramE

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am rebuilding my ebaib system, and I am looking for suggests as to how to mount the SSR and Heatsink.

The SSR and Heatsink are the 40 amp versions of both. They will be running a single 2000w element at approximately 16 amps. I am downsizing from a 5500w element, hence the overkill on the amp coverage.

Here is the panel with rough fittings.

Front

IMAG0588 by M. A. E., on Flickr

IMAG0589 by M. A. E., on Flickr

Back with SSR and Heatsink in question.

IMAG0591 by M. A. E., on Flickr

If I cut a vertical slat in the middle of the box, allowing the main trunk of the heatsink to slide up, leaving the "branches" of the heat sink that are secured to the SSR inside the box, while leaving everything above outside, do you think that the first couple levels of the heatsink will get hot enough to melt the pvc box?

Or, do I get an outlet blank, cut a square in box, secure the blank to the box, the mount the SSR to the blank, then to the heatsink?

While the first method is the easist, I'm worried out melting the pvc enclosure, and I'm worried about the torque that the weight of the heatsink will apply to the box on the second method.

according to wikipedia pvc has a melt point of 100 to 260c... or boiling point of water an higher. most pvc i have seen is more around 150+. iirc, the internal temp of an SSR can't reach above 125c or so. if using a heatsink, the temp on the pvc should never reach those temps and you should be fine.

in a (dumb) test, i put my hand flat on my 40a ssr heatsink (with a corresponding heatsink) at 100%. while uncomfortable, i was not burned. i use a toolbox for my build and have had zero issue.

15 amps will dissipate about 15 watts and even a 15 watt light bulb can get very hot with no air circulation. So, all depends on air cirulation.

I am rebuilding my ebaib system, and I am looking for suggests as to how to mount the SSR and Heatsink.

The SSR and Heatsink are the 40 amp versions of both. They will be running a single 2000w element at approximately 16 amps. I am downsizing from a 5500w element, hence the overkill on the amp coverage.

Here is the panel with rough fittings.

Front

IMAG0588 by M. A. E., on Flickr

IMAG0589 by M. A. E., on Flickr

Back with SSR and Heatsink in question.

IMAG0591 by M. A. E., on Flickr

If I cut a vertical slat in the middle of the box, allowing the main trunk of the heatsink to slide up, leaving the "branches" of the heat sink that are secured to the SSR inside the box, while leaving everything above outside, do you think that the first couple levels of the heatsink will get hot enough to melt the pvc box?

Or, do I get an outlet blank, cut a square in box, secure the blank to the box, the mount the SSR to the blank, then to the heatsink?

While the first method is the easist, I'm worried out melting the pvc enclosure, and I'm worried about the torque that the weight of the heatsink will apply to the box on the second method.

I have a 2"x2"x1" heatsink (smaller than yours) mounted on the outside of a PVC box. I just drilled holes in the heatsink and attached it to the outside of the box using self-tapping screws. It doesn't get even warm running an SSR at 13A. I had plans to mount a PC fan on the heatsink but I have never needed it.

You might end up running your harder than I have done, perhaps. But I don't think you will have a problem.

Back