Can you run a low pressure regulator off of a high pressure regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autobaun70

Reaction score
Looking for a way to run a split system, for cost savings purposes. All of my burners are high pressure 6" Banjo burners. My goal is to convert 1 of them to low pressure, and leave the other two as is. Can I take the tank adapt off of my low pressure unit, and then split the high pressure regulator output, 1 side to the low pressure regulator, and the other side to the high pressure burners.

My goal is to only need 1 tank to run the entire system. 2 is no huge deal, but it will make it a lot easier to run it all on 1.

Leaving aside the question of whether the 6" banjo will behave in low pressure use, you can put a small 1/2 psi (~11 WC) regulator tapped off your high(er) pressure line to feed one of the burners.

The question is: why would you do this?

Cheers!

Leaving aside the question of whether the 6" banjo will behave in low pressure use, you can put a small 1/2 psi (~11 WC) regulator tapped off your high(er) pressure line to feed one of the burners.

The question is: why would you do this?

Cheers!

For automation. The Honeywell valves run on low pressure only. I am setting up a 2 tier system, with a automated "Brutus" style Mash Tun. I've already got the 6" BG-12 burners. On high pressure they work fine for my needs for the HLT & Boil Kettle (no automation on these), and on low pressure should put out 20-30k BTU, plenty for maintaining mash temps.

The process I have in my head is to pre-heat my strike water to close to mash temps in the HLT, then gravity drain into the mash tun and let the automation bring it up to my mash temp, and take over for the duration of the mash.

If I were to do it again I would definitely just put in all 10" Banjo's on low pressure for simplicity, but at this point I'm trying to avoid spending any unnecessary $ and still achieving the desired results.

That totally makes sense, thanks.

Have you checked around to see if anyone's had success running the 6" banjo on low pressure gas?

Cheers!

That totally makes sense, thanks.

Have you checked around to see if anyone's had success running the 6" banjo on low pressure gas?

Cheers!

I've seen quite a few examples of this, just not in combination with high pressure. I also have another burner off of a grill (round burner, not your typical tubular grill burner) that will put out a bit more heat than the banjo that i may just use for the one pot.

I may decide later on to automate the HLT as well, but for now controlled mash temps will be plenty.

Back