mash temp rules

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonj

Reaction score
hi guys, had a quick search and found nothing...... can anyone give me a quick rule of thumb for mash temp?..... higher temp more bodied beer and lower temp less bodied beer.... is that right?

just I mashed my last lot at 68degrees celcius and it still tasted quite dry, og =approx 1040 and fg= 1008

cheers, for any help.

simon.

Palmer has a good discussion.
A lower mash temperature, less than or equal to 150°F, yields a thinner bodied, drier beer. A higher mash temperature, greater than or equal to 156°F, yields a less fermentable, sweeter beer.

With an O.G. of 1.040 I would imagine it would turn out dry unless you tried to compensate in the recipe or otherwise. When I brew with a target gravity between 1.036-1.040 I will use a darker kilned base malt (Munich) that does not finish as dry as a pils or a pale malt. I don't like to up the speciality malts such as crystal to compensate for a lighter base malt as it tends to throw off the balance. Just may approach to lower gravity brews.

Back