Forgotten plate chiller.....No-Chill????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgauthier20420

Reaction score
Ok, so I brewed up 10 gallons last night. While I'm heating up my water for the whole session in my kettle, I'm usually running sanitizer through my pump, and the valves, and my plate chiller. It was at this point, that I realized I'd forgotten my plate chiller at work (was getting shipping charges because I'm selling it). :confused:

I had to do a impromptu no-chill on the batch. I sanitized 3 sheets of foil and pressed them snug on the top of the keggle. I then sanitized a glass top to a pot and put that on that on top of the foil to form a semi seal. I then soaked a towel in sanitizer and put that on top of the glass top and tucked it in on the sides to be pretty tight on there. But....I forgot to cover the site glass :mad:

I hit my gravity but have about .5 gallon extra, so I'm planning on bringing the whole thing up to a boil for about 5 minutes or so to resanitize and kill off anything that could have possibly gotten in there. I'll be sure to bring my chiller home, and I'll run it through the chiller and ferment as usual.

It's 8 am here now and this is going to happen tonight. So, PLEASE HURRY with advice!

Personally, I think you'll be fine without reboiling. Just make sure to pitch a good bunch of yeast, to start it off fast.

If you decide to reboil, your aroma/flame-out/hopstand hops will become bittering hops. So you may want to replenish those.

Following up with what Lizard said. If you have not removed the hops I would, if you decide to reboil. Than re-add aroma hops. Unless you want the additional bittering. But also as Lizard said , pitch a healthy yeast starter and you should be good.

Personally, I think you'll be fine without reboiling. Just make sure to pitch a good bunch of yeast, to start it off fast.

If you decide to reboil, your aroma/flame-out/hopstand hops will become bittering hops. So you may want to replenish those.

It was a simple 60 minute bittering additional of 1oz of Northern Brewer, so that wouldn't effect it. I'd really like to avoid an infection though so I think at least raising the temps to around 200 and then running things through the chiller would be sufficient....right?

Edit: I'll be using a yeast cake split in two for the 10 gallons. This should be more than sufficient to get it done I believe.

Back