Original Gravity.. am I missing something??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyBrew

Reaction score
Ok today i tried to brew a Belgian style beer with a original gravity of 1.070. Upon taking my OG reading it read 1.050ish... I dont see how this is possible as I used these as my fermentables

6lbs of LME
1.5 Belgian Candy Sugar (homemade)
1/2 lb of corn sugar
+ whatever from specialty grains.

?? Is my hydrometer off?? I've been skeptical of that device :eek:

thanks for your help

:mug:

I'm sorry it was partial boil and topped off with water at the 5 gallon mark. Temp of the water was exactly 70*. Never really had a problem hitting my target gravity... thinking I screwed up the homemade candi... not sure if that is possible though?... Thanks!

I did aerate the wort before taking the reading like a sillywilly?? I would guess this could make the wort "lighter" or less dense of course...

damn it! I did the math and I knew I needed 9.5lbs of LME... the guy at the home brew shop assured me that I did not need that much extract! Well after I got the reading I boiled another 2 cups of corn sugar and added it to my wort then pitched my yeast.. grrrrr!!! Doubt that brings it up to 1.070... by the way it was a bastardized Chimay Red Clone.... A monk would probably smack me for using my own candi and S-33 high gravity yeast (not that I need it for this average abv brew) :(

I REALLY appreciate your help... could I add corn sugar now?? or just chalk it up to go by your own math experience??

Hmmmm might start have to find a new beer store... Thats like telling someone that dont need two slices of cheese for double cheeseburger!

how much specialty grain was in this? if there was 2lbs or so, and you have 5gals then you should be around 1.07

No it was only around 1 lb... I followed the Clone recipes. I try to watch my cost on each beer and instead of using 4lbs of dme I did the math and converted it all to lme. I came up with 9.5lbs but the local beer shop convinced that was to much.. they insisted that 6lb plus my 1.5lb of belgian candi would be enough. oh well next I will just buy what I want/need and not just listen to someone else. Thanks though!

....hate to tell you, but your LHBS was right. 4lbs of DME is 6lbs of LME.

Back