Chiller question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrunkleJon

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know I have waited way too long to buy/build my chiller, but now that I am breaking in my AG setup with full boils, I believe I will need one. Here is my deal.

AG Brew Day scheduled for this Fri/Sat. I have my new 15 Gal pot, and everything else. Problem is I am planning on building a CFC, though my pot has not yet been drilled, and I am unsure of if I will be able to drill it in time. Since I want to make a CFC, is it possible to use one without a valve on the boil kettle (make a siphon somehow, or a SS or copper homemade racking cane for hot wort, or maybe transfer it back to the mash tun to drain force it through the tubing to cool?). Or should I just buy extra tubing and make a 1-time use Immersion Chiller and gift it to my friend who wants to join me this weekend and is in the process of buing equipment to start brewing himself?

Opinions/Guidance please.

make the immersion chiller and gift it for your buddy!

never rush stuff ! thats when bad things happen if you dont have time to do it right dont do it! and i am sure your buddy will love the gift:mug:

If you don't have time to drill your keggle, how do you have time to make a CFC? I'd say the best use of your time is to drill your keggle and get a weldless fitting in there with a valve and then make a quickie immersion chiller - although with copper prices that's not the cheapest thing to do. I know people do use gravity with CFC's but unless you have a lot of height differential it will be slow going. I used a pump with my CFC. I have since reverted to a large immersion chiller.

Appreciated. My main problem lies in the fact that I have the proper tools for making the CFC, but not the skills/tools for drilling the kettle. I think I may just make the Immersion first and then upgrade to the CFC once I get the kettle drilled. Not to mention gifting it to the new brewer will mean he will have better beer with less investment that way we both win.

Latest posts

Back