Forgot to add oxygen! What to do

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnatp2

Reaction score
Ok so I just realized I forgot an important step. I'm in the middle of a fermentation that is about 3/4 done and I just remembered that I forgot to add oxygen before pitching yeast! Crap! I luckily used 2 vials of cal ale yeast and even had a very small starter on a stir plate for it just to get it going. I'm hoping that the small amount of oxygen in the small starter and the small amount during the transfer from kettle to fermenter was enough. But should I try to add some now? Should i add like 5 seconds worth from an O2 tank? Again the fermentation is about 3/4done and the beer is an ipa with cal ale yeast.

Nate

I would not add oxygen at this point. What was the gravity of your brew? I have only added additional oxygen at the 12 hour mark on a high gravity brew. At this point it would probably be more detrimental to add oxygen then to let the fermentation continue "as is."

I would not add oxygen at this point. What was the gravity of your brew? I have only added additional oxygen at the 12 hour mark on a high gravity brew. At this point it would probably be more detrimental to add oxygen then to let the fermentation continue "as is."

1068 was starting OG

Oxygen are used by the yeast before they start fermenting your wort. It's too late now and O2 will only do bad things at this point.

Back