Pipeline timeline

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

907_fellow

Reaction score
Hello there. So I got a question about what kind of brew-timeline I need to be running. A lil background info, I got a 19.7 cf keezer with 6 taps. Plenty of room for cold crashing and all that. I currently have 6 ball locks as well as three 6 gallon glass fermenters and one 5 gallon. I drink about 4 beers a night, with a higher consumption rate occurring on the weekends.
So basically I'm wondering how often I will need to brew to keep the pipeline going? I have 6 taps, but I do have an 8 way co2 manifold to carb up my kegs on deck. That should help. I'm thinking once I get all 6 taps flowing, if I brew every other week, I should stay pretty full. Anyone else have similar desires/needs/ or setup?

Hi, well, just doing some basic calculations, assuming those are 12 fl oz beers at 4 per night, and let's say 8 per night on weekends, would be 432 fl oz per week which is about 3.8 gallons. So to me that looks like you're going to have to do a five gallon batch almost weekly.

Yes if I were doing it, doing bigger batches every two or three weeks would be how I'd prefer, especially if you're doing all grain. Otherwise a good chunk of basically every Saturday is going to be eaten up making a new batch. At first it would be fun but it would get tedious quickly I would think.

Ya I hear that. I'm doin extract batches with grain additions. Haven't gotten the ambition to go all grain yet as these beers taste great to me. Most of my batches I've done this far, I knock out on work nights. Get off work at 4, brewing by 5, all cleaned up by 9. I have a 15 gallon keggle so I suppose it would be possible to go to 10 gallon batches. Excuse my ignorance, would I just double my 5 gallon batch recipe and roll it on? Seems pretty legit. I like the wide variety of beers though, however i would only have to brew half as much. Perhaps I can throw a half barrel in the keezer once a while from a local Alaska micro-brewery to slow my homebrew consumption. Either way.

Anyways, seems the answer would be to brew 3 out of 4 weeks a month. That's only 12 hrs a month. I'm young and not married and love beer so that sounds pretty good (on paper anyways) haha.

Myself I prefer to brew every week I can do either 6 or 12 gallon batches y prefer doing one or two 6 gallons a week than a 12 every other week. My problem is that I like brewing better than drinking (and I really like drinking)

Haha I am new to the sport but fully in love with it. Only problem i have is that i can't get enough beer brewed to fill this damn monster keezer. Guess I'm just gonna have to go balls out and brew 6 batches one week.

It takes some time, but you should eventually be able to outbrew your drinkin'. I started with 10 empty 5G kegs and it took many months to get to the point where all were full (or close). I did a couple of double brew days and a couple of double brew weekends and next thing I knew I had 40+ gallons in my keezer and kegerator. Once the pipeline is filled, you can brew at your leisure. I am still doing 5-6 gallon batches but plan to start doing 10 when my Stout mash tun arrives in a few weeks. Be patient with the keezer...you WILL get it filled but it will take more than 6 months is my guess.

stone

I've started out brewing my drinking, but I also drink some commercial craft beers and such, so I can balance that out.

Appears you need to brew atleast once every 2 weeks, or so at worst.

Haha yes being able to outbrew your drinking, the only real self balancing aspect I've found is that when I drink too much hombrew, I can't really focus well enough when trying to make more homebrew, so if I run out, my brewing increases greatly.

Agreed 100% porcupine. Nothin has lite the fire under my ass to start brewing immediately Iike emptying a keg haha. I just haven't got caught up yet with tinkering and adjusting all my new brewing stuff, new keezer, just everything is new to me so I'm slow out if the box. But there is hope in sight... Winter is here in Alaska so it's brewing season!

Back