PET soda bottles...asking for trouble?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BetterSense

Reaction score
I'm running low on glass but I can get a lot of 1x used PET 20oz soda bottles at work.

Since these hold carbonation for soda I'm sure they will for beer for a few months, but what about the caps? Do I just throw the ring away and reuse them? How tight should I tighten them?

Is this a bad idea? I'd really hate to lose beer, but I can drink the plastic bottles first.

I've reused the caps, they will hold preasure for a few months. Buying new is also good. A nice thing about PET is you won't get bottle bombs... they can go 10 volumes, champagne glass only goes 6 volumes. Regular beer is around or less than 3.

Down side is that they are clear and have to be kept in the dark (but don't we all keep our beer bottles in the dark?)

The LHBS has replacement PET bottle caps but I think it depends on the bottle which ones will fit. They have different threads if you look at them. And besides, they are like $.25 each or something ridiculous.

I have a bunch of 500ml amber PET bottles. They work fine. I use a microfiber towel for grip and bear down. Towel also keeps the hand from getting chewed up. You can kinda feel when they stop turning. I get them tight enough that way that I need to use a shirt tail to get them open.

Reuse caps are fine, just clean them well. And clear bottles are ok, Keep ' em in a dark spot and it'll be fine as a quick fix.

Yuppers, those plastic bottles and re-used caps will work just fine. Only ONE "caveat"...make absolutely certain that the bottles AND THE CAPS are sanitized before filling and capping! Rinse the inside of the bottle with Star San, and throw the caps in a bucket of Star San before bottling.

glenn514:mug:

Back