Shiner Bock - Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCBrewer

Reaction score
OK, most know and some hate the Shiner bock made by the gambrinus company in texas, some say the recipe has changed over time.

All I can say is it has changed as long as I have been drinking in the past 10 years or so.

Here are some questions, I know this is considered an American Dark Lager and not a bock, so how would this be turned into a real bock, but with a similar taste?

Is it possible?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the categorization based largely on taste?

I mean, if you changed it into a bock, it wouldn't taste the same, right?

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to get at here. But I agree - just in the few years since I first tried it I can definitely pick up some changes in it.

I agree, but what I am trying to get at is the difference in the way they use a colourant now for artificial colour versus using a specialty grain for the SRM correction.

If I wanted to make a beer along the same "flavor" of the shiner version, but using all grain how would I go about that.

I have spent hours searching and have only found that the "texas bock" kit from AHBS is considered a "take" of this beer but still uses he colourant.

Does anyone have the ingredient list of the AHBS Texas bock?

Here's what their website shows:

Shiner Bock (5B) [03794]
$22.99
View below for options

Spoetzl Brewery. Shiner, Texas.

Makes 5 US gallons

Fermentable Sugars:
Extract: 5 lb Liquid Malt Extract, 1 lb Corn Sugar
Mini Mash: 3 lb Liquid Malt Extract, 1 lb Corn Sugar, 2.5 lb Base Grains
All Grain: 7 lb Base Grains, 1.75 lb Specialty Grains

I am just drinking a Texas Bock(AG), I got the recipe from Defalco's in Houston. It is supposed to be a Shiner clone.
Color is perfect match. Head retention is better. Taste is close, but maybe a little 'corny'.
That may be due to utilization, I overshot my SG by about 12 points and the FG was only 1-2 points high.
I will brew it again.

Back