#3 batch! So stoked :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheapo

Reaction score
Hey all.....so tonight I'm making my 3rd batch (and I know a couple of you were keeping posted - 501, Mr RM-MN, hope I got your users correct enough to make sense oyyyy)
I'm using two coopers kits of 'draught' in one, plus adding 1000g of gold dry light DME. I'm aiming for 1.090, a real high gravity recipe if I can :mug:

So I'm starting with 3 gal water, plus the two kits and DME, and then bringing to gravity at 70 degrees, and determining gravity from there? That's the plan anyway, hopefully that jives. Oy, I feel like such a newb venturing out on my own here.

1:10 am here and mixture is boiling well. 50 min and it's all boild done (ABD in my notes ;) ) I may actually let this one first and second ferment without modifying, it'd be for after xmas anyway. And I had one more Better Bottle available than I thought (working at a brewery has its benefits) so it's full steam ahead!

whhhhhoooooops........it was kinda late.......well, experimentation right?

Hey, worst-case scenario: you learn something. Best-case scenario you come up with an unexpected gem!

I usually do, although I've heard and read that some people don't. Would it come out better if you were to boil the DME and then add the LME at flameout?

Yes. You never boil pre-hopped extracts. It messes up the hop profile,besides the mailard reactions that cause twang & darkening.

Back