Didn't oxygenate/aerate. Now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chase

Reaction score
I decided to post this in the beginners forum, because I just made a beginner's mistake.

I've been brewing for about two years now, with something like 40 brews under my belt. However, last Sunday (11 days ago), I brewed a dry irish stout, and didn't oxygenate it.

I realized I didn't oxygenate when I took a gravity sample yesterday and it came out at 65% attenuation using white labs wlp004 irish ale yeast which should have fermented out to around 72%

It was an all-grain batch, mashed at 149º, and fermented at 65ºF, OG=1.052

Now, since I've never had this problem before, I'm trying to figure out how I should go about getting the gravity down another 8 points. Anyone have any ideas?

My only thought is to pitch more yeast. I've got a packet of Nottingham, and a liquid culture of Edinburgh yeast I was saving for a scottish I want to brew in a few weeks.

Let it ride. Give it a good shaking (Without opening) and let it go an extra 2 weeks in primary. Unless of course you are already in secondary, in that case give it a shake and three more weeks, I've had this problem many times and thats what i do. The extra time will get it at least closer to your gravity and will only improve it as it is a stout. Let me know hoe it turns out.

Back