Johnson Controls copper probe wire placement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian_n

Reaction score
I've got a wine fridge that I'm going to use as a fermentation chamber with my Johnson Controls A19 controller. I'm going to put the controller outside the fridge, but I'm not sure how to run the copper probe wire into the fridge. If it was rubber coated, I'd just slide it through the open door. But since it's copper, I'm worried I'll kink it eventually. My other option is to drill a small hole in the side of the wine fridge. Has anybody put their copper wire through the open door for an extended period of time without any issues? Or should I just drill in the side of the fridge and deal with the minor insulation loss? Thanks in advance.

tn2_large_a19aat-2c070809120350.jpg

I would try to put a small hole in the wall somewhere and use a grommet and securely clamp the sensing bulb in place. The capillary tube going to the bulb is fairly delicate, so the less handling of it the better and it's then less likely to get kinked. Use care when handling the cap tube and only unroll enough of the coil to get to where you're placing the bulb and secure the remaining tubing still coiled.

If you want to attach the sensor to the fermenting vessel itself, I think you'd be better off with a controller with an electronic sensor if you haven't already purchased the control.

Back