Good Base for Blackberry Wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peacefrog

Reaction score
Hi folks,

The roomie and I are having a party at the end of the summer and, among other things, are going to show off the new kegging set-up with four brews on tap. Three of them (Ed's Apfelwein, Vanilla Chocolate Porter, and a DFH 60-minute clone) are underway, but I've still got one more to go: Blackberry Wheat. I haven't chosen a recipe yet and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. My plan was to do a nice wheat then rack it onto a few pounds of blackberry mash to sit for a few weeks.

I was looking at Ed's Hefeweizen. Do you think that'd be a good one? Something else? Looking for all-grain only, please.

Thanks so much!

Anything that is close to 50/50 pale malt/wheat malt will do you well. Could go to a ratio of 60/40 to 40/60. Anything in that range would be great. Don't go too high on the hops so it has nice berry aroma and flavor. It'll be hard to go wrong!

I would be careful with that yeast. It will definately give you bananas and bubble gum at temps over 70. It is the only yest I use for wheats, but for a fruit beer I might consider the 1010 American Wheat. Otherwise, sounds great! Oh, I should mention that you can get fruit purees in a 3 lb. can (Oregon brand) that will make this much easier for you, and it also ensures that the fruits are sterile.

Oh, I should mention that you can get fruit purees in a 3 lb. can (Oregon brand) that will make this much easier for you, and it also ensures that the fruits are sterile.

That is a useful tip, but what I failed to mention is that I've got a ton of frozen blackberries harvested from my backyard which inspired the plan, and I'll be using them. (Last year we did a blackberry barleywine.) I'm planning to camden 'em.

Back