Help opening my keg!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogaldorn

Reaction score
I got a keg from a friend for a discount before I moved, and now that I am settled in and ready to brew, I am unable to open the darn thing.

I've read tutorials and seen youtube videos, and they all start with removing a retaining ring, but I can't seem to find one anywhere. The center "spear" part doesn't seem to move up or down either, and have used a wrench to depress the ball and degas the keg already.

Here is a picture if it helps at all. It was hard to see my phone screen in the sun, so if the picture doesn't help I can take some more for you.

Any ideas?? Help!!

Thanks everyone!

0814101018a_286032.jpg

Also, mine doesn't seem to have any notches along the inside like all the others I have seen. In case that helps narrow down what the issue is.

The snap ring is in there, it's the first metal ring after the the black rubber part of the spear. The end of the ring appears to be sitting right about 5 O'clock in this picture. Use a flat head screwdriver and a hammer to gently pry up the end of it. Once you get the end out use a pair of pliers to pull it all the way out. Once it's out you'll see the the tabs that hold the spear in place. You'll just have to rotate the spear to align the tabs and it will pull right out.

Sorry the picture does suck, new photo coming. There is literally no end of anything in there. There is no gap, no split, no edges or anything. Basically from the two
"prongs" that stick out, all the way down to the o-ring, it is nothing but smooth steel.

Edit: I think what you were looking at is just a shadow.

its threaded in. just hook the ears with a nail puller side of a hammer and spin it out, then you will have a safty clip that wont let it come all the way out. one of the ears should have a marking on it,the safty clip is right under that. you need to dig a slim screwdriver down between the valve and the O ring, its down pretty far.

ok got the piece unscrewed and it will only lift A fraction of an inch before one side catches. what now? thanks for the help!

one of the tabs(ears) has a marking on it.. the safty clip is under that(straight down)

. a thin screwdriver slid between the rubber O ring and the valve body, about a inch and a half. once you feel it catch on something twist it and pull that sucker out.

awesome! got it! thanks a ton. couple more questions real fast. can the lock be disengaged or removed? I totally mangled a cheap little screwdriver opening it. also, can the spear assembly be dismantled for cleaning and to replace the rubber O ring ?

Latest posts

Back