Scored some McMenamins

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had a co-worker think of me when he went to visit one of our mfg plants in Portland

He grabbed 4 -22 oz beers at this insane asylum turned brewery.

McMenamins
  1. Ruby Ale
  2. Terminator Stout
  3. Sunflower IPA
  4. Hammer Head

Have any of you tried these?

I've had them all. They have 50-60 properties throughout Western Oregon and Washington and I have a one two blocks from my house. I'm not a huge fan of the Ruby, not that it's bad, just not really my style. Terminator, IPA and Hammerhead can be great. One thing about McMenamin beers is that I've found them to be be inconsistent from brewery to brewery. The Hammerhead at McMenamins Six Arms by my house is ok but the Hammerhead at the Fulton Pub in Portland is outstanding.

Mike and Brian are pioneers in the Oregon brew scene, opening the first post prohibition brewpub in Oregon, The Hillsdale Pub and Brewery. I have a lot of respect for those guys and have come to know Mike McMenamin fairly well over the last several years. They have some amazing properties, my personal favorite being the Edgefield in Troutdale OR. (This might be the property referenced above as a former insane asylum, it was actually the Multnomomah County Poor Farm originally, transitioning to a nursing home in the 60's and eventually closing in the early 80's. McMenamins purchased it in 1990.) SWMBO and I stay there at least 3 times a year just to escape. Visit their website and you can read about the history of many of these unique locations.

Terminator Stout is my favorite, although it can vary. Each McM brews some "chain" brews and some formulated by the brewer. I tend to hit the John Barleycorn branch, just because it is in a good location for meetings. There's another closer to my house in the Oregon Hotel McMinneville, but whenever I'm up there, I go to Golden Valley Brewery.

I've been to 7 or 8 of them.

I've been to a couple of them, but my favorite was the Kennedy School in Portland!!! 35 rooms that used to be classrooms, a movie theater... Very cool atmosphere!!!

The beer was pretty good IMHO...

:mug:

Back