Warming undercarbonated beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiredboy

Reaction score
I have a beer I chilled too soon and it's been in the fridge for a month or so. I'm wondering whether taking it out of the fridge and sitting it at room temperature for a period of time might reactivate the yeast and increase the carbonation but I'm concerned it might be detrimental to the beer. Any suggestions?

I have a beer I chilled too soon and it's been in the fridge for a month or so. I'm wondering whether taking it out of the fridge and sitting it at room temperature for a period of time might reactivate the yeast and increase the carbonation but I'm concerned it might be detrimental to the beer. Any suggestions?

Chances are the yeast will "re-activate." I guess it comes down to whether you prefer drinking undercarbonated beer, or potentially risking screwing something up. Personally, I'd warm it up and let it sit a few weeks at about 75F (if you can)... I really don't think the impact on flavor will be substantial at all, as long as you're not taking it up to 90F+

Wasn't sure what I could risk screwing up. I know that some beer that cools then warms then cools again can sometimes get a funky flavour but wasn't sure whether this would be an issue with bottle conditioned beer. Maybe I'll move a few to the warm for a couple of weeks and see how it goes.....

It wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't for the fact that apart from under carbonation it's an amazing brew!

Back