How long should I keep my fermentation temps down?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danculwell

Reaction score
So this is the first time I've done anything to keep my temps down while fermenting. I'm using a cooler with frozen water bottles. The really vigerous fermentation is done. Is the yeast still going to produce off flavors at this point if I let it get up to room temperature (mid 70s) for the rest of the fermentation? Thanks

You should keep it down until FG is reached at least, I try to keep it the same or colder until kegging/bottling, it also helps clear the beer. But then, it's easy with a cellar.

Brew strong did a podcast about that a while ago.

If i remember right they said its better to start cold and finish warm then the other way. As it warms up after primary fermentation, it will help keep the yeast active to clean up and condition the beer.

I basically keep temps at ~60°F from beginning of the fermentation to the end, then I cold crash for a couple of days before racking to the keg and placing the keg in the kegarator. My beer never really gets warmer than that. Since I started this process my beer has been clear and clean tasting, no off flavors or anything like that. Hope it helps.

Latest posts

Back