Yeast no sealed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacktar

Reaction score
Guy at a winery gave me a cup of yeast about 2 weeks ago. All I did was put some Saran wrap loosely on it. Do you think it's still good for a batch of apelwein?

jaycount said:
Doesn't sound too terribly sanitary to me... what did this yeast come out of?

I have no idea. I thought it was a homebrew shop but it was a place that makes wine for people on order. The guy offered me a styrofoam cup of whatever wine yeast he had there.

I wouldn't bother with the coffee cup of mystery yeast. A pack of Red Star Montrachet is like 50 cents and works great for Apfelwein.

How have you been storing it for the last 2 weeks? if it's been in the fridge, I'd say what the hell, use it. If it doesn't work all you'll be out is some juice. It's not like what you make will cause the zombipocalypse or anything, nothing pathogenic can exist in anything we ferment. So even if it doesn't turn out it's not like it will cause any harm.

It could be amazing yeast, even with house mutations....

I don't get why folks are always so quick to push the panic button.... Empty out a couple cups from a gallon of cider and pitch some of that yeast....you'll be out what, 2 bucks if it fails?

*shrug*

Homercidal posted yesterday that he was just at a commercial brewery in Traverse City where they FERMENT their beer with plastic wrap on top of the fermentation vessels.

"zombiepocalypse" hahaha. I'm only testing this on a gallon of apple juice so I'm not out much if it goes wrong. Will give it a shot.

Latest posts

Back