Stuff growing in my water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylornate

Reaction score
To control the temperature of my last brew, I stuck the carboy in my brew kettle, added water, and changed out bottles of ice. Problem is, some slimy stuff grew on the carboy and kettle. What is the most sensible way of preventing this? I thought about using Star-San, but I didn't want to waste it or damage my kettle.

To control the temperature of my last brew, I stuck the carboy in my brew kettle, added water, and changed out bottles of ice. Problem is, some slimy stuff grew on the carboy and kettle. What is the most sensible way of preventing this? I thought about using Star-San, but I didn't want to waste it or damage my kettle.

I stick my carboy/fermenter in a cooler and put a splash of bleach into the water. You wouldn't do that with a brew kettle, though, so I'm not sure what the answer would be here, except not to use the kettle but a garbage can/trash bin/cooler, etc, that wouldn't be damaged by sanitizer.

Should be. You only need about a capful of bleach in the tub to stop things from growing.
I actually just give it about a dozen sprays with my starsan bottle into the water. It's highly diluted at that point, but I've never had anything start growing yet.

Back