To dump, or not to dump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xmcchillinx

Reaction score
Last Friday I brewed big IPA, somewhat malty, somewhat hoppy, somewhat fruity.. Kinda a Frankenstein beer. Everything went perfect, I hit my OG of 1092 ( I said it was a big beer, and today i took a gravity reading and i'm at 1025 (almost to my predicted FG of 1021), I dry hopped today and will be using a secondary to clean up the beer a bit more in about a week or two. When I tasted the sample all I got was sweetness (I'm expecting the dry hop to balance it a lil more) ... and Rubbing Alcohol!!! I used White labs California V and fermented around 65, the fermometer was at 70* the entire time accept for the first night when it hit nearly 80* due to such a vigorous fermentation.. What to do? I've only done one other big beer before and that one had a slight alcohol taste that subsided with time. I'm worried the High ferm. temp. from the first night has ruined my beer. soo.. Too dump, or not to dump?

Thanks, I guess I was searching for reassurance.. Nobody wants to dump a batch but I've read that the alcohol taste is one that doesn't really mellow with time. And even though it's young, the taste was strong enough to make me consider dumping it.. (so you know it's quite strong)

Last friday was a short time ago.
Let it ferment, let it age in the bottles then decide.

Worst case scenario, if it isn't drinkable in a month then cook with it. My SWMBO has made some awesome creations with a batch I wasn't super impressed with. Beer bread, beer battered onion rings, etc. Then you can drink great beer and eat good food. Double whammy!

This was a big beer. You need to give it a LOT more time to age and condition. Even without the temperature spike, an 8.8% ABV brew is probably going to need at least three months (if not longer) to mellow.

A week doesn't begin to scratch the surface. I say to give it at least two more weeks in primary, then go to secondary to bulk age for a good long while before you bottle.

Let it sit in the bottle for a month, then cold condition for a week, drinki it and see what you think, if its good keep it, if not throw it out, I've threw out bottles before, its a heart breaker but mine was undrinkable, used 20g gypsum and 7g epsom salt to get a "burton on trent" water. Ruined the beer, the taste was so terrible (even used half lb hops) I couldn't stand it, lessoned learned tho

Aging and patience. Bottle or keg it after a few more weeks in the fermenter, then store it and forget about it for quite some time. Since it is an IPA, I would recommend kegging it if you can. That way you can dry hop it later in the keg for fresh hoppiness (or make a hop tea and add it).

The worst risk you run keeping it is time bottling or kegging. I've had beers that tasted pretty poor after only a couple of months that tasted pretty good after several months. Note that they never tasted great, but they were certainly drinkable and not dump worthy. I actually had one spiced ale that tasted nasty (WAY over spiced from 1 oz of mulling spices) after a month, but tasted spectacular after a year. Definitely different issue than fusels or phenols, but time does cure a lot of ills.

I racked this off the yeast cake a week ago. I tried to save the yeast but there was so much twin it was.impossible, I lost a half gallon of beer with it as well. however the beer tastes much much better now and I can't wait to try is again when I bottle in a few weeks.. I will never contemplate dumping a beer again, unless its been bottled and is awful. the alcohol taste has started to subside which give me hope. I'm very happy with this beer at the moment.

Back