Water absorption from hops, boil vs dry hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Have a quick question as I attempt to calculate the extra water I need to add to account for all the hops I am adding. I know the common thought is about .6-.7qt/oz of hops. But does anyone know if the water absorption differs between hops that are boiled (even say difference between 5 and 60min) vs those that are used as dry hop? I am going to be using approx 9 oz of hops for an Imperial India Brown Ale, and I want to be able to correctly account for the water absorption by hops.

Thanks in advance.

I can't think of a reason that they'd take up different quantities of water. I'd think the boiling water would just cause the same amount of loss, but quicker since its hotter so it hydrates the hop leaves faster.

dry hop soaks em up slower, but since they sit a lot longer than 60 minutes, should still soak up their max amount.

That is the assumption I had in mind as well, but I preferred to ask to make sure. I dont know about the 5 min additions, but it will be better safe than sorry. Thanks for reinforcing my belief.

Back