I'll cut my steak when I'm damn good and ready!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Timmy

Reaction score
Seriously. WTF is up with Applebees? This is like the third time now that the server has put my meal in front of me, then asked me to cut into my steak to see if it's done right. No, I will not hack up my steak for you! :mad: If your "chef" doesn't know what "medium" is, fire him/her. All I want you to do is place the meal in front of me, ask me if I need anything else, then quickly get out of my face. Trust me. If anything is wrong with my food, I'll let you know. Rant complete. Back to my Trout Slayer already in progress.

Preach it, Reverend!

In their defense though, it is sometimes tough to tell if horsemeat is "medium" or if it has some tendon running through it which is changing the texture. ;)

I always save my salad for the rest of the meal to come and eat everything at once. I always have to fight the wait staff to keep my salad......

That annoys me too about the meat.

Also annoying to me is when I go for a meal and some spotty faced retard thinks that they will get a better tip by acting like they are my new bestest friend in the world ever and talk to me as they would if they were texting their prepubescent boyfriend/girlfriend.
Just get me my damned food, stick it front of my face and GTFO kid. If I wanted to be your friend you would have seen me outside your school with my hand down my pants already.
Now, THAT is how you get a tip!

PS Get of my fooking lawn too while you're at it!

Yeah, I check the pulse on mine to see if it is done. When it slows down I pull it off the fire.

........it is sometimes tough to tell if horsemeat is "medium" or if it has some tendon running through it which is changing the texture. ;)
I actually found a big ol' vein/artery in my steak there before. That was pretty much the end of that meal.

I did order ribs once at crapplebees that i had to go home and finish cooking. I will eat a cow that is still mooing but pork needs to be cooked!

They are doing that to cover their own ass, They serve the steak on a hot plate, it is meant to be eaten directly. If you let it sit there for 20 minutes, it might turn from medium to medium well. What they want is an affirmation that the steak was delivered to you as you ordered it, and that you were satisfied, so that you cant ask for a refund later on when your steak overcooks itself.

Next time this happens hand the waitress your fork & spoon then ask her to feed you too. =)

They are doing that to cover their own ass, They serve the steak on a hot plate, it is meant to be eaten directly. If you let it sit there for 20 minutes, it might turn from medium to medium well. What they want is an affirmation that the steak was delivered to you as you ordered it, and that you were satisfied, so that you cant ask for a refund later on when your steak overcooks itself.

if they serve the staek to you on a hot plate then its their own damn fault! meat is supposed to rest before serving dickwads. if i want a medium steak i pull it off the grill whien its still med rare and let it finish to med while resting and letting the juices seap back into the meat rather than running everywhere when i cut it right away.

+1

seriously?

yer bitchin about a steak from applebees?

do you get upset about Bud Light at a sports arena?

On the other hand, a hovering waiter is just bad no matter the venue.

Applebee's....Sorry, not a steakhouse, more tlike the Mcdonanlds version of TGI Friday's...

My mom was a meatpacker, then a butcher. I was a butcher, then moved on to steakhouses, meat fab runs in the family. Glad I saw this post before it got too old.

If you want a good steak, you are not gonna get it at a chain. There are some recent product additions to the market that can make a low grade cut seem like prime (to the less experienced). And yes, these products are popular. US Foods, Shamrock, Roma, etc all sell them to the restaraunts and chains. Restaraunts do NOT have to declare what ELSE is in the meat they are putting in front of you. This loophole has made it possible to put a less than ideal cut of meat treated with chemicals on your plate. You want a good steak? Go to a reputable steakhouse, then expect to pay. Otherwise, go to a real butcher and cook that f*cker your own f*ckin' self...

BTW, I am drukn and pissed about *****ebags serving crappy meat :drunk:....

Hotplated steaks are pathetic, I would be SCREAMING at the "chef" that did that. Professional cooks and chefs are expected to understand the basic principals of thermodynamics and how they relate to food. Heat energy will take the least resistant path to equalize, that path is not to the air but throught the juices in that steak to the steak itself....

I am sorry that you were treated to this...I am sorry as well that many people have become accustomed to these lower standards....

My roomate was a "cook" at these kind of resteraunts, believe me, there is no chef. Apparently all the experience you really have to have an IQ above 1, dont believe me? Just ask him real slow.

(hope the roomie dont read this, lol .... )

Having worked as a grill chef at a steak house many years back, and always running the grill for neighborhood parties, I can say that a good chef (not that you'll even find a CHEF at Applebee's) can cook a steak exactly to order, only to have the customer ***** that it's not the way they wanted it...because THEY don't know what level they actually want their steak cooked.

Then again, what in the HELL are you doing ordering steak at Applebees ?!?!?

Having worked as a grill chef at a steak house many years back, and always running the grill for neighborhood parties, I can say that a good chef (not that you'll even find a CHEF at Applebee's) can cook a steak exactly to order, only to have the customer ***** that it's not the way they wanted it...because THEY don't know what level they actually want their steak cooked.

That is the complete truth there. Not really related to the OP just true none the less.

+1 for going to a steakhouse for a steak. +1 for just not going to applebees for anything.

I personally like Applebee's! I can't remember the last time I had bad food or service there.

There are a few steak houses that I've been to that just can't make a good steak. Everyone else wants to go to Logan's and throw peanut shells on the floor, and I can't stand that place. I just don't like walking on peanut shells!

I have never had good service or food at applesbees. It is to the point that I don't think I will ever go back. Last time I was there I got a DFH 60 in a bottle. I asked for an unfrosted glass and they refused. They said for beer that the glasses HAVE to be frosted. I spent the next 10 minutes thawing the glass.

All too many people will eat the meal, then complain and try to get out of paying. One restaurant near my house has a big sign next to the cashier: "You ate it, it couldn't have been that bad. Next time, let us know BEFORE you finish it. We'll make it right."

I just prefer cooking my own steaks, I can get them exactly how I want them!

+1. I went to a good steakhouse for my birthday last year and had to send the damn thing back THREE times for them to get it medium rare. Recently I went to a good (expensive, not chain) restaurant and had to send it back twice.

+1. I went to a good steakhouse for my birthday last year and had to send the damn thing back THREE times for them to get it medium rare. Recently I went to a good (expensive, not chain) restaurant and had to send it back twice.

Yikes, I would never go out to eat with you.:)

Seriously. WTF is up with Applebees? This is like the third time now that the server has put my meal in front of me, then asked me to cut into my steak to see if it's done right. No, I will not hack up my steak for you! :mad: If your "chef" doesn't know what "medium" is, fire him/her. All I want you to do is place the meal in front of me, ask me if I need anything else, then quickly get out of my face. Trust me. If anything is wrong with my food, I'll let you know. Rant complete. Back to my Trout Slayer already in progress.

Applebees??? In all likelyhood the "chef" that cooked your steak could only be called a chef with ones tongue firmly planted in either cheek. What is typically most wrong with "chain" establishments such as Applebees is that they rarely use fresh ingredients and those ingredients they do use are typically never cooked properly. Pass the near liquified broccoli please...uhg!

Applebees??? In all likelyhood the "chef" that cooked your steak could only be called a chef with ones tongue firmly planted in either cheek. What is typically most wrong with "chain" establishments such as Applebees is that they rarely use fresh ingredients and those ingredients they do use are typically never cooked properly. Pass the near liquified broccoli please...uhg!

Ugh. Exactly. Our frequency dinning out has decreased proportionally with the increase in the attention we give the ingredients we buy from the store. It's gotten to where we'd rather ship the kiddos off to MIL's house and spend a quiet evening at home cooking with each other than going out to dinner, cost be damned (and we've been married 9 years :mug:).

We no longer enjoy eating at Applebee's/Chili's/TGIFriday's/etc. so we no longer go there. Simple as that.

The same steak?? First time plus 3 times sent back = 4 times cooked and that was to get medium-rare?? Must have been pretty rare to begin with. :drunk:

The same steak?? First time plus 3 times sent back = 4 times cooked and that was to get medium-rare?? Must have been pretty rare to begin with.

Two thaw cycles.

Ugh. Exactly. Our frequency dinning out has decreased proportionally with the increase in the attention we give the ingredients we buy from the store. It's gotten to where we'd rather ship the kiddos off to MIL's house and spend a quiet evening at home cooking with each other than going out to dinner, cost be damned (and we've been married 9 years :mug:).

We no longer enjoy eating at Applebee's/Chili's/TGIFriday's/etc. so we no longer go there. Simple as that.

The problem with most places is that they get almost everything comes in a souve' (sp?) and is just boiled and served.

Yea you sound like a ****** and I would be embarrassed to be seen in a restaurant with you. Do you bring your brewing thermometer with you too to make sure the meat's at the correct temperature for your fine dining experience?

You know that the steak you ended up eating was on the floor at one point, right? At both places?

Being a restaurant manager makes me look at this thread differently than most.

If my kitchen screws up... I fix it. period. And it is rare that we screw up.
I don't hover, my crew doesn't hover. We wouldn't dream of making a guest VERIFY that WE did our job.
If something is wrong, it will be addressed. No talk back on our side, ever.

unless you lie to me. But that is another thread.

I run a corporate owned training store that is part of a 500 store chain.
It sure as hell is NOT an Applebee's.

Yea you sound like a ****** and I would be embarrassed to be seen in a restaurant with you. Do you bring your brewing thermometer with you too to make sure the meat's at the correct temperature for your fine dining experience?

You know that the steak you ended up eating was on the floor at one point, right? At both places?
I hope you don't work with the public, as you apparently never learnt customer service skills.

If I am going to pay $30 or more for a piece of meat (plus $20 for the potatoes, then the mushrooms etc etc), in a restaurant that only sells expensive slabs of meat, and prides themselves on cooking said slabs of meat exactly to the customer's specification, then it had better be damn near perfect, at least the second time they bring it to me. If a restaurant cannot handle that, they should not be in business. If the chef/server/bus boy cannot handle that, they need to be in a different line of work too.

[edit: I only sent both back twice, not three times as I originally said. First time both were too rare (red and cold in the middle); so in both cases they threw it back on the grill/in the oven and it came back well done. Then they did what they should have done the first time I complained, and put on a new one. I think in the one restaurant (the one that is a real steak house), it still was not perfect, so I thought about sending it back again, but I ate it, as my wife had almost finished by this point.]

what's so *****ey about sending about something back that you paid for that wasn't to your expectations?

Back