Speaking of smack packs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLWIII

Reaction score
Is it even necessary to do the smack routine and wait for the contents to react? I had a situation on a current brew where the inner pack popped, but not enough contents mixed up and there was no reaction. I cut open the larger pack, also cut open the inner pack, mixed them in my starter jug and away I went. I guess I'm wondering why the manufacturer just wouldn't give us two separate packs that we open and mix. I presume it has to do with reducing the risk of infection, but we're all clean freaks here...at least when it comes to the brew.

Is it even necessary to do the smack routine and wait for the contents to react? I had a situation on a current brew where the inner pack popped, but not enough contents mixed up and there was no reaction. I cut open the larger pack, also cut open the inner pack, mixed them in my starter jug and away I went. I guess I'm wondering why the manufacturer just wouldn't give us two separate packs that we open and mix. I presume it has to do with reducing the risk of infection, but we're all clean freaks here...at least when it comes to the brew.

It's a way for you to verify the viability of it before you add it to the starter. Necessary? No. I use White Labs all the time, and they do no such thing. It's just a little idea that Wyeast implemented.

If you've ever had one that didn't puff up after smacking it, you are thankful for it. Just goes as a reminder to check the dates on the smack pack before purchasing. The one I had was over 6 months old. I was a little frustrated the LHBS hadn't taken it off the shelf or at least noticed at the check out.

Yeah it's a sterile environment inside the smack pack which is a lot more sanitary then you mixing it outside of the smack pack. However the inside pack is just a nutrient packet and you don't even have to pop it if you don't want to.

If you've ever had one that didn't puff up after smacking it, you are thankful for it. Just goes as a reminder to check the dates on the smack pack before purchasing. The one I had was over 6 months old. I was a little frustrated the LHBS hadn't taken it off the shelf or at least noticed at the check out.

I've even started to self serve myself at the LHBS for both yeast and hops(sorta like the grocery store) so I can check the dates and reach for a fresher package.

I had a Wyeast smackpack from Midwest that was manufactured only a week before it was sent to me. I had to look twice because I couldn't believe I had gotten one so fresh.

Hey, This is my first post, thanks for all the great info on these forums...
Anyways...

I was brewing a batch of Nut Brown Ale about a week ago and managed to break my carboy while everything was cooling to pitch the yeast. I had a Wyeast English Ale smack pack that I had allready smacked in preperation to pitch. I didn't use it due to the unfortunate disaster and its been sitting in my fridge swollen up. Is it still going to be good in a couple days when I brew again? It will have sat for about two weeks total. I don't see why it wouldn't be still good, but I could see why it would be bad too.... any ideas? Thanks!

Back