(Yet Another) No Fermentation after XX Days Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffm33

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a blonde ale on Friday night, 6 gallons 1.042 OG. Pitched at 70° with US-05 sprinkled on-top. Did not notice the expiration date. No aeration aside from racking to fermenter.

It's fairly cold in my basement this time of year with ambient swings of 60° - 68° so I have it in a rope handle tub with water up to the wort level to avoid temp swings.

I checked the SG last night (4 days after racking) and it is still 1.042. No visible signs of fermentation beginning/stuck at all.

I removed it from the tub and gave it a shake to rouse the yeast, leaving it out of the tub to warm up ad hopefully kick off fermentation.

How long should I now wait before pitching another pack of US-05?

NOTE:
  • I will aerate next time
  • I will rehydrate next time
  • I will ensure proper temps while fermenting next time

Sounds like you had warm enough temps and plenty of yeast. I would re-pitch with fresh yeast.

I thought my temps were ok. But I filled the rope handle tub with my cold tap water which was about 45°. Would take a while for it to get up to ambient I imagine.

Well, as is usually how these threads end. I just came down to check the fermenter and repitch to find that fermentation is underway. Airlock is starting to bubble a few times per minute.

I'm going to hold off on repitching.

Latest posts

Back