Stand up freezers... Lets see 'em!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris7687

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a stand up freezer and have one lined up on craigslist to purchase Friday, but I am a little scared that it isn't going to be enough room. It is a 17cu ft freezer. Internal dimensions are 18in deep x 27in side to side x 52 top to bottom. Seems like it'd only fit 4 carboys in there. Is it worth it? Please show me your stand up freezers set up's so I can make up my mind!!

Are fermenting more then 4 at any given time? If it's under $75 I would say take it. Most don't because some have the coils as part of the shelf. I helped convert one like that for a kegerater.

I am currently in the midst of turning a freezer into a kegerator. The coils in the shelf are a major stumbling block as you must be extremely carefull not to crimp the lines or crack them and create a leak. Once I get two shelves out of the way it should hold 4 cornies and approx 2 cases of bottles. I am using the STC-1000 from the build on this site to set my temps too. Pics when I am done.
Wheelchair Bob

Are fermenting more then 4 at any given time? If it's under $75 I would say take it. Most don't because some have the coils as part of the shelf. I helped convert one like that for a kegerater.

I actually have been fermenting about 4 at a time lately and I haven't even stepped up to my soon to be 10 gallon batch sizes yet!! I have 2 ales fermenting right now and I am making another this weekend. Also, I am doing wine and that needs to be stored 55-65* while it's secondary fermenting, although right now it is sitting in a swamp cooler. There is always at least 1 wine going and hoping to start doing 3 gallon fruit wines... I have a kegerator but I am looking to throw 2 more taps on for a total of 4 kegs, so that entire fridge will be taken up.

Is it "ok" to primary ferment in the controlled environment and then secondary or tertiary(holding) it at room temp in a swamp cooler?

Latest posts

Back